Wellcom Supreme Sire Award
The Supreme Sire Award provides an opportunity for exhibitors to display the commercial traits of their herd and be awarded for showcasing high quality beef genetics.
The $10,000 award can be won if in the same year the Sire of the Grand Champion Beef Carcase exhibit and the Sire of any one of the four Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed Exhibits* are one and the same. The Grand Champion Beef Carcase exhibit must be either entered, managed or bred by the exhibitor of the winning Beef Cattle Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed Exhibit.
*Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed exhibit could refer to any one of the following four options: Supreme Junior Champion Beef Breed Heifer, Supreme Senior Champion Beef Breed Female, Supreme Junior Champion Beef Breed Bull and Supreme Senior Champion Beef Breed Bull.
1. This class is free to enter.
2. The exhibitor is responsible for notifying RASV prior to the Show if their exhibits entered in the Beef Cattle and Beef Carcase Competitions may be eligible for the Award.
3. The Sire must be a fully registered animal with the applicable breed society.
4. For the Grand Champion Carcase animal to be eligible to compete for the award, the animal must be either entered, managed or bred by the same exhibitor as the Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed Exhibit. This information must be submitted to the RASV prior to entries closing. The sires name and corresponding Beef Cattle or Beef Carcase exhibitor must be supplied at this time to be eligible for the award.
5. The exhibitor must be either listed as an owner, co-owner or manager in both carcase and stud cases reflected across both entries, (the managing exhibitor may only have one of the legs of the carcase or stud entries).
6. The RASV will collect either hair, blood or tissue samples from Grand Champion Beef Carcase Exhibit(s) if that animal is eligible to compete. This sample will be stored until the results of the Beef Cattle Competition have been finalised.
7. At the conclusion of Beef Cattle Interbreed, if one of the four Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed Exhibits are eligible for the Wellcom Supreme Sire Award, the RASV will collect either hair or blood samples to be used for DNA validation of the award.
8. In the event that the Award appears won, the managing exhibitor is responsible for providing a verified DNA sample of the nominated Sire of the winning animals. This will occur after the winner of the four Interbreed Supreme Champion Beef Breed Exhibits and the Grand Champion Carcase have been announced.
9. For sires that have already been DNA profiled, the managing exhibitor must provide the RASV permission to access the DNA profile if they have ownership or arrange for the owning breed society to grant permission.
10. The RASV will arrange for DNA testing of all samples.
11. Any animal which is deemed unable to be DNA referenced will be ineligible for the competition.
12. The RASV and associated DNA testing company will decide upon the validity of the DNA test.
13. The $10,000 bursary will only be provided to the exhibitor(s) at the conclusion of the DNA test results.
14. In the event of the award being won, RASV will award prize money to the managing exhibitor. The exhibitor who receives the Wellcom Supreme Sire Award $10,000 cash prize is responsible in conjunction with the RASV for allocating funds to any third parties involved in the breeding and preparation of the winning exhibits.
15. The $10,000 bursary will remain in trust with the RASV until such a time as it is won by an exhibitor.
16. Nominations made after entries close will not be accepted. Entries cannot be made at the Royal Melbourne Show and will not be accepted on the day the Grand Champion Carcase announcement.
In an effort to ensure the integrity of the competition, the above listed rules may be subject to change prior to the close of entries into the 2019 Royal Melbourne Show Beef Cattle and Beef Carcase Competitions.
For any further details or queries of the Wellcom Supreme Sire Award please email Annie Elliott Agricultural Competitions & Events Coordinator – Beef, Sheep & Dairy, firstname.lastname@example.org